The Santa Fe Stargazers convened for their regular monthly meeting at 7 PM MST on 15 June 2022. This meeting was run as a hybrid meeting: both in person and via Zoom. We anticipate that meetings will continue to be run in a hybrid format into the indefinite future.
Links to presentations:
- Monthly Sky Report (Sam Finn)
- Feature Presentation: Ancient Skies: Cultural Astronomy of the Grand Canyon Region (Rader Lane, National Park Service)
Following the welcome, Sam Finn gave the Monthly Sky Report. He was followed by Rader Lane of the National Park Service, who gave the evening’s feature presentation “Ancient Skies: Cultural Astronomy of the Grand Canyon Region.”
Following an extended discussion after Rader’s presentation we had a brief business meeting:
- The combination of drought and fire danger has led to the cancellation of several outreach events. There is, at present, no relief in sight.
- While the Aug 11 event at Hyde Park remains on the books, Hyde Park is currently closed and may not re-open in time to hold the event. Sam is in contact with Peter Lipscomb and will keep the SFS informed.
- Pecos National Historical Park is planning an outreach event in the Sept-Oct timeframe. Robert is in touch with the Ranger in charge and will keep the SFS informed.
- The Santa Fe Conservation Trust is planning a “Grand Opening” of their Thurston Ranch property in the Sept-Oct timeframe, which we will support with stargazing opportunities. Sam is in contact with the Trust and will keep the SFS informed.
- With the onset of the monsoon season, together with the drought and fire-danger related closure of the Galisteo Basin Preserve, National Forest sites, and State Park sites, we do not anticipate any club observing events until the fall.
- As we have done in the past, the July meeting of the SFS will be a participation-based “bring your favorite (something)”. Robert is organizing this activity and will circulate a brief questionnaire for firm-up what “(something)” is and provide instructions.
- There will not be an August meeting of the SFS.
- Monthly Sky Report presenters are (at this writing) signed-up for Jul, Sep, Oct, and Jan. We need an MSR volunteer for Nov.